Sponsored Programs include instruction and training, research or service that is supported by external funds, normally in the form of a grant, contract or cooperative agreement. Such funds are received as the result of a formal communication with the sponsoring agency such as a letter, application or written proposal submitted by an authorized College official through OSPR.
A sponsored program will normally have one or more of the following additional characteristics:
• The sponsor has published guidelines, applications, and/or procedures for requesting support.
• The use of funds awarded is restricted to support for a particular project or program and expenditures are approved in advance by the sponsor.
• There is a specified time period during which activities are to be conducted and completed.
• The award includes specifications for project performance and/or desired outcomes.
• The sponsor requires, as a condition of the award, programmatic, technical, and/or financial reports, which are subject to external audit.
• Unexpended funds are returned to the sponsor at project completion.