2. Student must be enrolled at least half-time.
3. Student must be maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP.)
4. Student must not be in default on any Federal Loans or owe an overpayment on Federal
5. Student must be registered with selective service.
6. Student must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen.
7. Parent must be the student’s natural parent, adoptive parent or in some cases, stepparent.
Grandparents and legal guardians are not considered parents, as defined by the
Department of Education and are not eligible to apply for a PLUS loan.
8. Parent must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen.
9. Parent must have a credit check performed and approved by the US Department of
10. Parent must sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov. The MPN
allows the parent to receive additional funding (within eligibility) without signing another note, unless your previous loan was approved with an endorser or your son/daughter stopped attending school for one full year.