KNOW WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR?
Division of Mathematics and Sciences
Division of Education, Psychology and Social Work
The Andrew Carnegie Library
The original library at Livingstone College used rooms added to Huntington Hall in 1883 especially for a library. Three thousand volumes were listed in the catalog in 1884-85. In 1890, Reverend A.J.F. Behrends donated $1,000.00 for a collection of new books for the library to be called “The Central Library”.
The Andrew Carnegie Library at Livingstone College was dedicated in 1908. Andrew Carnegie, a benefactor of libraries throughout the country, donated funds in 1905 for the construction of the first library building at Livingstone College. The appeal for the $12,500.00 donation was made by Dr. Booker T. Washington, Dr. W.H. Goler (Livingstone College President), and Bishop George W. Clinton of the A.M.E. Zion Church. Bricks for the erection of the building were made on the campus. The library was completed in 1908 and named the Andrew Carnegie Library. Sizable additions have been made to the library that now houses more than 65,000 volumes.
Division of Business
Division of Liberal Arts and Humanities
The mission of the Division of Liberal Arts and Humanities is to empower students to become global leaders in scholarship, research, performing arts, and service to humanity. The division is committed to producing graduates who are critical thinkers in pursuit of truth, beauty, spirituality, and social justice. Students are prepared to become competitive candidates in graduate and professional schools, to excel in their chosen careers, and to provide community leadership based upon humanistic values.